OrCAD Capture CIS
integrates the schematic design application with the features of a component information system (CIS) to streamline production, and help Capture users design more intelligently.
Cadence® OrCAD® Capture CIS integrates the features of a component information system with Cadence schematic capture technology. Capture CIS includes the proven, industry-standard schematic entry tools in OrCAD Capture and an advanced component information system that is accessed directly in the Capture interface. CIS gives designers important component information at their fingertips which helps them to reduce production delays and cost overruns through efficient management of components. CIS also augments the time savings of a highly efficient schematic entry tool by reducing the time spent searching for existing parts to reuse, manually entering part information content, and maintaining component data.
CIS can be enhanced even further with the
Component Information Portal™ (CIP). CIP is a comprehensive, "off-the-shelf" CIS management environment that includes a component library with a per-defined set of fields to help take the guesswork out of defining a database schema. This allows for immediate and effective use of the CIS.
Integrates with a robust component information system (CIS) to promote reuse of preferred, current parts
- Accelerates the design process and lowers project costs
- Reduces time spent researching parts
- Enables intelligent component selection with access to MRP, ERP, and PLM data
- Provides access to more than two million parts with Cadence ActiveParts
OrCAD Capture CIS integrates the schematic design application with the features of a component information system (CIS) to streamline production, and help Capture users design more intelligently.
Industry Standard Schematic Editor
The flat and hierarchical schematic page editor of OrCAD Capture builds on the OrCAD legacy of fast and easy schematic editing.
Component Information System
The Component Information System (CIS) is a central part of the OrCAD Capture design solution.
Advanced BOM Generation
CIS also provides powerful report generation that can be used to quickly create BOMs to a variety of different user specifications.
With the design variants capability, designers can manage unlimited board assembly variations without having to maintain duplicate schematics...
OrCAD Capture CIS works with any database that complies with Microsoft’s ODBC standard.
OrCAD Capture / CIS
Version History: 16.6 | 16.5 | 16.2 | 16.0 | 15.7 | 10.5 | 10.3 | 10.0
16.6 Features and Enhancements
- Capture – PCB SI integration and flow: With product integration comes a new bi-directional schematic entry/signal integrity flow that allows electrical engineers to explore circuit topologies, develop constraints, and analyze signal integrity.
- Quick-place for common components: A new menu, Place >PSpice Component, enables quick-place for commonly used schematic or simulation components. The menu items list of components is user-configurable and has been pre-populated with PSpice® simulation devices (passive, discrete, sources, digital).
- User-configurable menus and toolbars: Menus, toolbars, and icons in OrCAD Capture, PSpice Advanced Analysis, and Model Editor can now be customized. This makes it possible to run any Tcl method or script from the menus.
- Enhancements to the Find function: The Find function now allows searches for parts by value of a given property (e.g. Property Name=Value) or use of a regular expression as the search string. For example, to search for components with designators starting with C or R and followed by any number between 2 and 9, use the search string Part Reference=(C|R)[2-9].
- NetGroup enhancements: The NetGroup use model is now aligned with the Bus use model for intuitiveness and consistency. Enhancements areas include: assign a NetGroup to a Bus, reorder pins in an unnamed NetGroup, add and remove pins from a NetGroup, visible NetGroup references, and find NetGroup references.
- Enhanced Save function for design and library: Pages that are changed and need to be saved are now marked by an asterisk (*) in the Capture Project Manager. When a save is initiated, the marked pages are saved.
- Global Replace for OffPage: The Find and Replace dialog box (Edit> Global Replace) has a new option, OffPage Connector, to find and replace OffPage connectors.
- Preserve “User-Assigned” designator: Reference designator management improvements now track the user-modified references and allow finer end-user control over managing the part references for the entire design. A reference designator can be interactively set as user-assigned through the newly added “User-Assigned” flag to preserve designators and references in conjunction with the Preserve Designator and Preserve User-Assigned Valid References in the Annotate window. Capture will also mark a reference designator as user-assigned if the reference is manually changed in Property Editor, manually changed in the schematic canvas, or changed by the board through back-annotation.
- Design Level auto reference: In addition to schematic-level annotation, design-level annotation is now available by selecting the Design Level option in the Miscellaneous tab of the Preferences dialog box. An option to preserve references when copying is also available.
- Browsing/viewing designs created in earlier versions: Designs created using earlier versions of Capture can now be opened and viewed without requiring the design to be uprev’ed. Such designs only need to be uprev’ed when the design is actually saved.
- Closing all tabs: Canvas tabs can now all be closed, or all but this tab closed with an RMB selection. Right-click on the tab and choose the appropriate option (Close, Close All Tabs, or Close All Tabs But This.
- Custom design rule check (DRC): Though Tcl scripting, user-defined schematic and circuit checks can be created and added to the Capture DRC routines. Several R&D examples include checks for hanging wires, device pin mismatches, overlapping wires, reference prefix mismatches, port-pin mismatches, and shorted discrete parts.
- Project Save As enhancements: While saving a project in 16.6, a project name that is different from the design name can be specified to mimic the manual process of copying/moving a product from one hard-drive location to another. Options include the ability to copy/move all referenced files, ensuring that all links are updated while saving.
- RefDes support alignment: Capture and CIS now handle references and designators in the same manner, eliminating the need for manual Reference Designator corrections in the CIS database and BOMs. CIS now supports all reference designator formats including as U2N, C1_R, C12-1, R7-TOP, MP_2V5_REF, and TP3V3_0. Also, the reference designator for multi-packages is consistent (e.g. MP_2V5_REF will be MP_2V5_REF not MP_2V5_REFA).
- Linking external design parts: Referenced parts of the external design can now be linked at the group or subgroup level.
- [CIS ONLY] CIS performance increase: The overall performance for CIS operations, especially when dealing with very large databases or queries, has been significantly improved.
|Large Database Operation
| 16.50.S017 or earlier
| CIS Explorer – Open
|| 40 seconds
|| 4 seconds
| CIS Explorer – Query (3000 parts)
|| 50 seconds
|| 4 seconds
| CIS Explorer – Explore (3000 parts)
|| 50 seconds
|| 3 seconds
| Part Manger – Add a group in a variant (7000 parts)
|| 15 seconds
|| 4 seconds
| Part Manager – Display group parts (7000 parts)
|| 10 seconds
|| 2 seconds
| Part Manager – Display variant Parts (7000 parts)
|| 10 seconds
|| 2 seconds
| Part Manager – Select all part rows in a group (7000 parts)
|| > 500 seconds
|| < 1 second
- [CIS ONLY] Tcl customization for CIS Explorer: CIS Explorer can be custom-configured with user-definable actions and capabilities. (For example, customized part placement checks can disable placement of an EOL part or provide a warning if part procurement has a long lead time). Query result rows can also be customized. (For example, rows can be highlighted blue for recommended parts or red for parts not recommended or allowed.)
- [CIS ONLY] Multi-value support: Any CIS field can now be set as multi-valued for component instances with numerous information or content sources (e.g. lists for multiple datasheets/application notes or multiple PSpice models for a component).
16.5 Features and Enhancements
16.2 Features and Enhancements
- Graphical Operation Locking (GOp): The GOp locking feature in Capture now allows you to lock the different parts of a schematic design. Lock objects on a page, folder, or even the complete design. This feature prevents inadvertently moving or deleting parts of a design that are locked. Designs requiring alteration will need to be unlocked before any changes are made.
- Placement Report: Generate a report of the X and Y locations of the placement of the parts on a schematic. This report, generated as a .CSV file, provides these details of the parts:
- Reference Designator
- Part Name
- Schematic Name
- Sheet Number
- File System Location of the Part Library
- X and Y co-ordinate location
- Find Results Report: After executing the Find command on a design, generate a report for the results from the command. By running the Find command to search for different types of objects in a design, the search results display in different tabs of the Find window, allowing you to export the data from each tab.
- Net Groups: OrCAD Capture introduces the concept of the NetGroup that allows you to create groups of nets. A NetGroup can include a group of scalar nets, vector nets, or a combination of both. Capture allows you to create Named NetGroups that can be used across a design or exported to other designs. Alternatively, for one-time use, you can create an Unnamed/Adhoc NetGroup.
The new NetGroup Connector can be used to intelligently merge and tap out signals. It can also be used to generate net names for connected signals.
- CIS.INI Settings: While the Capture INI settings are always dynamic, the CIS settings are more or less static and usually do not change after the initial CIS database related setup. You may often need to clear out and reinitialize your Capture INI settings, but may still want to retain the CIS settings. To allow this, OrCAD 16.5 now retains the CIS INI settings in a separate back-up file. This file retains the CIS INI settings that Capture will retrieve when it re-initializes the Capture INI settings.
- Partial Design Simulation: The 16.5 release comes with the productivity enhancing feature of partial design simulation. You can now identify individual components of any design, and, using the partial design simulation feature, simulate only selected portions. Using this feature, you can simulate different circuits in the design with different simulation profiles. You can also netlist only a particular portion of the design. In addition, you can compare and merge portions of a design quickly.
- Usability enhancements
- Enhanced OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor integration
- Improved FPGA design-in functionality
- New annotation type option
- DRC enhancements
- Netlist enhancements
- L2A integration in OrCAD Capture
- User interface updates
- CIS RDBMS support
- CIS configuration file in XML format
- New ActiveParts Portal in ICA
16.0 Features and Enhancements
- Place and move drawing objects on fine grid independent of connectivity objects
- Enhancements to archiving mechanism for PSpice model libraries
- Cadence Help
- Support for mechanical parts and assemblies in standard CIS BOM
15.7 Features and Enhancements
- Controlled annotation of parts
- PSpice ground zero symbol
- Mouse wheel support
- New option to set the drag behavior
- New unit values in the signal flow properties UI
- Customize netlist formatter
- Descend hierarchy using the mouse button double-click
- Saving queries
- Version 11.0 of Crystal Reports
10.5 Features and Enhancements
- Split part symbol generation enhancement
- Archiving enhancement
- Differential pairs between flat nets
- New part creation from spreadsheet
- Assigning signal flow properties to a bus
- Setting preferences for linking a placed part to a database part
- Viewing design variants information
10.3 Features and Enhancements
- Split part symbol generation
- Signal property flow to PCB Editor
- Page navigation
- Replace cache with preserve reference designator
- Import the latest Xilinx and Altera formats
10.0 Features and Enhancements
- Design-level property management
- Unlimited undo/redo
- Label states for what-if scenarios
- Enhanced support for simulation profiles
- New directory structure for analog projects
- Annotation improvements
- Soft save
- Automatic backup of designs
- Dynamic port/pin updates on hierarchical blocks
- File locking for team design
- Ability to run multiple versions of OrCAD Capture
- Printing and plotting enhancements
- Support for design reuse in OrCAD Layout
- Significant improvements in OrCAD Capture-Allegro PCB flow
- Push occurrence properties into instance utility
- Support for Xilinx Design Manager version 4.1 and 4.2 output files
- Improved EDIF 2 0 0 import/export functionality
Free web-based, component library
ActiveParts is an online electronic component information system available for OrCAD users. ActiveParts contains more than 2 million parts, most of which include OrCAD Capture symbols. In addition to searching a local database for parts, users can now choose to search online with ActiveParts. ActiveParts is fully integrated with OrCAD Capture CIS, allowing users to search for and select parts from within CIS. Placing a part from ActiveParts page into an OrCAD Capture schematic is as easy as a click of the mouse.
ActiveParts contains parts, with detailed descriptions, from over 4000 vendors. Many of these parts have OrCAD Layout footprint information mapped to their symbol as well as a link to manufacturer datasheets. For any part, the OrCAD Capture symbol can be previewed before placing the part in a CIS schematic.
ActiveParts allows the user to download the symbol, save a copy of it in a local OrCAD Capture library, and add the part information to a local OrCAD Capture parts database.
How To Gain Free Access
- Over 2 million parts in the ActiveParts CIS database
- 1.2 million parts with OrCAD Capture symbols
- Parametric data
- 25% of parts have mapped OrCAD Layout footprints
- Manufacturer Names, Part Numbers, and URLs
- New parts added on a continual basis
ActiveParts is FREE for users on the most current release of OrCAD Capture CIS on an active maintenance contract. ActiveParts is built into OrCAD Capture CIS and does not require additional software installation.
For more information about activeparts contact EMA at email@example.com