contains full-featured PCB editor based on Allegro technology; its extensive feature set addresses a wide range of today’s design challenges and manufacturability concerns.
Cadence® OrCAD® PCB Editor is an intuitive, easy-to-use, constraint-driven environment for creating and editing simple to complex PCBs. It contains a fully integrated design flow that includes a constraint manager, design capture technology, component tools, a PCB editor, an auto/interactive router, and interfaces for manufacturing and mechanical CAD. OrCAD PCB Editor provides powerful, features that deliver controlled automation to maintain user control, while maximizing routing productivity. It also provides a powerful and flexible set of floorplanning tools, and etch creation/editing in a highly productive interconnect environment. The software can generate a full suite of phototooling, bare-board fabrication and test outputs.
- Offers a proven, scalable, easy-to-use PCB editing and routing solution that grows as needed
- Tight, front-to-back application integration increases productivity and ensures data integrity
- A comprehensive feature set delivers a solution to take a design from concept to production
- Common database architecture, use model, and library make collaboration simpler
- Feature set addresses a wide range of design and manufacturability challenges
- Allows engineers to explore various design configurations before committing to a specific circuit implementation
PCB Layout and Editing
OrCAD PCB Editor, an interactive environment for creating and editing simple to complex, multi-layer PCBs. The extensive feature set addresses...
Comprehensive Routing Modes
Shove-preferred, hug-preferred, and hug-only routing modes allow for advanced user control ensuring that routing is efficient.
3D – ECAD/MCAD Design & Collaboration
View and share your design in 3D with full STEP model support. OrCAD PCB Editor makes it easy to ensure your design will fit BEFORE you build it.
Dynamic Shape Technology
Dynamic shape technology offers real-time copper pour plowing/healing functionality. Shape parameters can be applied at three different levels.
Design for Manufacturing
A full suite of photo-tooling, bare-board fabrication and test outputs, including Gerber 274x to help design for manufacturing.
Constraint and Rules-driven Methodology
Floorplanning and Placement use a constraint and rules-driven methodology that drives a powerful and flexible set of placement capabilities,
OrCAD PCB Editor
Note: QIR refers to quarterly incremental release which deliver new features in between major releases. This accelerated release schedule was introduced in release 16.6. QIR releases are available to all customers on active maintenance.
Version History: 16.6 | 16.5 | 16.2 | 16.3 | 16.0 | 15.7 | 10.5 | 10.3
16.6 Features and Enhancements
- STEP Support Enhancements: STEP support has been enhanced with the following new / improved capabilities.
- Zoom capability was added to the mapping environment to aid in faster and more accurate STEP model mapping
- Added fine grain keyboard arrow key control to help with model alignment
- Added the ability to map a course and detailed 3D model to a footprint
- Voids in Keepouts: PCB Editor now supports voids in Route Keep out, Placement Keep out, Via Keep out, Test Probe Keep out
- STEP Update: Improved performance. Fixed issues with export and import from MCAD tools
- Early Adopter: Allegro Drafting Prototypes
- Delete by Line
- Delete by Rectangle
- Offset Copy
- Offset Move
- Add Perpendicular Line
- Pastemask DRC Update: Shapes drawn on the Package Geometry – Top and Bottom subclasses are now factored
into the DRC check.
- Database Diary: Maintain a running log of comments with the design file (Available in OrCAD PCB Professional ONLY)
- PCB Editor now retains Pop-up window locations when using multiple monitors
- Missing fillets are not longer reported at pin/via locations when line width is equal to the joining pad size
- Early Adopter: STEP support! 3D visualization, mapping, import and export
Embedded Net Names
- Parameterized rectangular shapes
- Select by “lasso” or “path”
- DRC by window area
- >Component alignment enhancements
Negative plane enhancements
Replace padstack updates
Status Bar & Visibility updates
Add Circle update
Region shape assignments
New net highlight method
Moving Elements Outside Class Structure
New display option overlays net names
– Flow lines
Enabled by default
Design for Manufacturing Enhancements
Permits select elements to be moved outside present class/subclass structure
– Elements limited to lines, line segments, text & rectangles
Supported in ‘General Edit’ application mode
RMB to access ‘Change Class/Subclass’ command
Generic Tech File Support
Artwork Control Form/Drill updates
– RS274X now supports output of shape with voids overlapping other shapes
– Film names have been increased from 17 to 46 characters
– Artwork will suppress Null pads when unused pad suppression is enabled
– Photoplot.log now has a warning if un-defined line width is set to 0
– Initial artwork parameters now defaults to same unit type as board
– Creating new drill data will now report the number of holes to the allegro status line
Option to generate separate plated / non-plated route files
Pastemask DRC updates
New Design Defaults
New tech file export option “Generic”
Hierarchical layer mappings
– Top, Internal, Plane, Bottom
Import into a “N” layer board
– Cross section not impacted
New designs can be automatically seeded with default template design or just default units / accuracy
– Template design can contain anything; units/accuracy, parameters (including colors), constraints or physical data
Units/accuracy can be set by product types via additional env. variables
Defaults can also be set by variables (units and accuracy)
Maintain engineering notes as part of the database
16.5 Features and Enhancements
- OrCAD PCB Designer Standard (formerly Basics 16.3, but without limitations of numbers of pins and net layers).
- OrCAD PCB Designer Professional
(formerly Designer, with a larger number of high speed features, constraint management capabilities, and included signal integrity analysis)
- General Updates (All Tiers)
- Changes in the GUI
- Access the status bar: Classes, Sub-Classes, and the Super Filter Modes applications and selections are available by the bar status of the tool.
- Textures of the color: Fixtures are differentiated with filling and customizable. Each color panel coloring can be completed by a texture.
- Zoom in window Pick: This function is very useful to refresh the display on a point or precise coordinates.
- Differentiation between insulation and short-circuit DRC’s: Net Shorting the DRC are short-circuits and recognized as such in the error count DRC’s.
- New Commands
- Minimum Metal to Metal DFF checks: Ensures that the distance between objects and copper is inspected, particularly when certain spacing rules are disabled.
- Duplicate Drill hole: This audit checks for overlapping holes at the same coordinates.
- Table of Cross-Section: This new command allows creation of a cross section image of the PCB with all types of vias used on design.
- Placement: The import file placement now includes an option to import of components to contact with the face and the angle indicated in the file place_txt.txt.
- Viewing Via Label: As soon as a blind via, buried or μvia is used, its label can be displayed.
- Placement Mode
- Environment dedicated to placement tasks
- Single click to move a component.
- Accessible by simply passing through the object.
- Alignment of components
- Placement Replication and (including etch)
- Other Updates
- 3D Display: Added option for dynamic update of PCB layers.
- File lock: When sharing files, it is quite possible to have multiple open instances of the same file. The *. Lck file now protects the edited file from being overwritten.
- Output behavior of pad: When Enhanced Pad Entry option is selected when routing or slide the pads based on a form of shape are now recognized.
- Delete Via Structure: The structure of vias created with the fanout command can now be deleted.
- Color: The Color View window has a Save option Flip Preserve State.
- Editor Symbols:
- A package can be created without shape Place Bound.
- A mechanical pin can be changed simply by adding Connect a text on subclass pin_number.
- Constraints and High Speed Design (PCB Professional Only)
- Differential Pair Support: Differential pairs can be routed according constraints / DRCS recognized by the constraint Manager (Primary Gap, Length uncoupled, coupled Tolerance, Gap & Neck width ...).
- Rules by zones (Regions)
- The stress areas are present in the Structure Constraint Manager.
- Rules routing and Physical Spacing by Region,
- Region-Class, Region Class-Class, Same net
- Differential pair gap / Width, Layer ...
- Min Max Etch Length Constraints: Total Etch Length control is possible on the net in the Constraint Manager with a minimum and maximum distance.
- Delay Tuning: The length adjustment (Delay Tune) is available using forms of elongation type accordion, trombone and teeth saw.
- Automated Test Prep: Automatically generate test points for test fixtures in PCB
16.3 Features and Enhancements
- 3D Viewer
- Drawing Display Origin Enhancements
- New Polygon Selection Window
- Customizable Datatips
- Show Measure on Any Layer
- Logic Retention on Vias
- Color Dialog Update
- Display Pin Number Update
- Pastemask Clearance DRC
- Negative Plane Sliver DRC
- NC Legend - Rectangle and Line Width Control
- NC Legend - Slot Title
- Multi-Threading Support for DRC
- Route Keepout - Pin Detection
- Route Keepout - Allow Shapes Options
- Same Net DRC Marker Update
- BB Via Gap Update
- Net Short Property Updates
- DBDoctor Performance Improvements
- Dynamic Shapes Performance Improvements
16.2 Features and Enhancements
- Etch edit applications
- Manufacturing applications
- Padstack enhancements
- Design-level DRCs
- Productivity enhancements
- Miscellaneous productivity enhancements
- Color and graphics
- Miscellaneous manufacturing applications and interfaces
- Database enhancements
16.0 Features and Enhancements
- Usability / new use model
- PCB Editor user interface
- Color and visibility enhancements
- Physical and Spacing constraint system
- New PCB Editor application modes
- Miscellaneous PCB Editor enhancements
- OrCAD Layout translator updates
15.7 Features and Enhancements
- OrCAD Layout to OrCAD PCB Editor support
- New class of soldermask DRCs
- Soldermask clearance
- New Room_Type properties for DRC flexibility
- Copy command
- NC Legend enhancements
10.5 Features and Enhancements
- NC Drill
- Interactive etch editing improvements
- Usability enhancements
- Interfaces enhancements
- Library editor enhancements
- Miscellaneous enhancements
10.3 Features and Enhancements
- Introduction of OrCAD PCB Editor based on Allegro PCB Editor technology