Learn By Topic
We get it—PCB design is an incredibly complex field. So, we broke it down into a handful of common topics to get you started.
Select a topic to learn more.
Design for Manufacturing
From layout to manufacture and testing, a single holdup can negatively impact a business. Therefore, designing for manufacture is crucial.
Here are some items to get you started:
- Webinar: Design for Manufacturing and Why it Matters
- Anatomy of A Solder Joint
- A Guide to PCB Material Selection
- Three Common Vias: Their Manufacturing Pros and Cons
- Notes on Soldermask
Want to see more DFM material? Visit our Resource Library.
The more complex a PCB design, the higher the chances of running into high-speed design issues that can quickly derail a project.
These items examine the root causes of common issues and how to prevent them:
- Webinar: Common High-Speed Design Issues and How to Solve Them
- Techniques to Reduce EMI in Your PCB Designs
- Mixed Signal PCB Design Techniques
Want to see more high-speed material? Visit our Resource Library.
Flex PCB design has many advantages, but with these come new design challenges not in "standard" 2D PCBs. With flex design becoming ever-popular in the industry, it is important to know the common pitfalls you may face.
Get started on some flex basics with these items:
- Webinar: Let's Get Flexible- Expert Tips for Designing Flex PCBs
- Flex Circuit Cheat Sheet
- Top 10 Tips for Flex Design
- Do You Know When to Flex?
Want to see more flex design material? Visit our Resource Library.
Obsolete parts, RoHS / REACH compliance issues, inadequate stock; every engineer has encounted these problems. Often, they are found late in the project life cycle, and cause major time delays in the end-product's release.
These items examine the common causes of BOM rejection and other data management issues:
- Webinar: The Zero Touch BOM- Prevent Component Sourcing Issues Before They Happen
- Why Integrated Workflows Are Important for Effective PCB Design
- How Do You Manage Customer Data for Your IoT Devices
Want to see more data management material? Visit our Resource Library.
In a project, many complex tests must be passed to achieve PCI-e compliance.
These items will get you started on compliance categories, necessary measurements, and tips / tricks to ensure signal integrity success:
- Notes From the Board Room: On Signal Integrity
- Effective Integrated Circuit Simulation Within Multi-Board PCB Systems
- Your Thermal Design Guide for High Power PCBs
- How to Ensure Star Topology Signal Integrity in PCB Design
Want more signal integrity material? Visit our Resource Library.
In an increasingly technical world, product trends demand reduced form factor and more power. Having knowledge of how your circuit works is just as important as understanding the context in which it is used.
These items examine how to ensure your power integrity analysis is up to the task:
- Webinar: Learn How to Ensure a Healthy PDN and Keep Products Humming Smoothly
- Selecting and Placing High Power Connectors
- Power Integrity and Signal Integrity: Power Supply Noise in Your PCB
- PCB Analysis Considerations for Every Designer
Layout & Routing
The layout and routing of your PCB design is critical to ensuring the board runs smoothly. This process can be incredibly complex, and respins are all too often required.
These items can help you catch some of the more common issues in constraints, routing, and layout before they happen:
- Webinar: Your Route to PCB Design Success- PCB Routing Tips From the Pros
- USB PCB Routing Tips for Peak Reliability and Performance
- Whiteboard Wednesday: Best Practices for Routing
- Basic PCB Layout Design Steps to Get You Started
New to the PCB design process? Our Whiteboard Wednesday series is here to give you a basic overview of common PCB design topics.
Select a video for a quick walk-through of several popular topics.